Tuesday, March 29, 2011

What's up with SAD?!

We are nearing the end of March and my view remains dark, cloudy and with a chance of flurries.  Obviously talking about the office window view, and not my mood, but there is a link.

I do believe it(the weather or season) is a barrier to staying upbeat, positive. I also believe it gives those ANTS the upper hand.

SAD, great acronym, as this is how a lot of people get during the long winter months. My self included.  Oh, I am referring to the depressive disorder called Seasonal Affective Disorder. I am certain this was a contributing factor in derailing my mind  earlier this month. When you combine multiple situational stressors and no sunlight, grey skies, it is a recipe for a bad day.

Definition By Mayo Clinic staff

Seasonal affective disorder (also called SAD) is a type of depression that occurs at the same time every year. If you're like most people with seasonal affective disorder, your symptoms start in the fall and may continue into the winter months, sapping your energy and making you feel moody. Less often, seasonal affective disorder causes depression in the spring or early summer.
Don't brush off that yearly feeling as simply a case of the "winter blues" or a seasonal funk that you have to tough out on your own — you may have seasonal affective disorder. Treatment for seasonal affective disorder includes light therapy (phototherapy), psychotherapy and medications. Addressing the problem can help you keep your mood and motivation steady throughout the year.

Like the definition indicates, don't ignore it, but consider this as a cause to your "decreased mood" coupled with a long term chronic disease (I hate calling it a disease) like Diabetes this can throw you into a depression. 

I have never been formally diagnosed with SAD but I sure feel better with the sun peers through the clouds, and the days get longer and brighter.

I encourage, reaching out to a friend, talk to your family physician, they also sell full spectrum lights at most large chain pharmacies. Exercise , Meds what ever it takes.

Yours in Health!

Trev

No comments:

Post a Comment